A very special thanks to Eric Skiff and the NYC Resistor for backing our project. Eric posted our project to his twitter feed and that ignited it! We owe you all a very big thanks!! You and all your fiends are simply amazing. Thank you, thank you.
On June 3rd, the Geraldine R. Dodge foundation found and backed our project. This event gave our project additional exposure we very much needed. We say “Thank You, Thank You for help us succeed!”
At about 5:40 on May 12, 2012 the Terra Incognita Team launched their KickStarter.com crowd funding project “The Edge and Back”. Everyone was very excited to see what would happen and if we could really raise the amount we needed to fund the project. We decided to set the number of days for 30 instead of longer not wanting to drag the project in to the fall school year.
Above is our project team. They are all 6th grade student girls from Cumberland Trace Elementary School in Bowling Green, Kentucky. From Left to Right we have:
- Hope Hardison – “Hi! I am 12 years old and during my free time I like to read and play with my younger brother and sister. When I grow up, I would like to be a Geneticist, which is a type of doctor that works with children with special needs, such as Autism or Down Syndrome, and their families.”
- Emma Brittenham – “Hi, my name is Emma Brittenham. I’m 11 years old, in sixth grade, and GOING TO MIDDLE SCHOOL NEXT YEAR!!! My favorite thing to do is work with special education kids. My favorite subjects are writing and recess. Writing because I love to write and recess because it’s when I get to work with the special education kids at my school. I want to be a special education teacher when I grow up. I love special education kids and working with them!!!!!!!!!!”
- Mini Ganesh – “Hey! Here’s a little info about moi. Some of my fav. pastimes are reading, music, and art. I play piano, flute, and am in GA.T. Art. I like math (algebra) and science. When I grow up, I plan on winning a Nobel Prize! L.O.L., Mini”
- Anna Scifres –“Ello! I’m Anna and I’m 11 years old, my favorite subject is science and I would like to be a fashion designer, a writer or a potter. I love to make jewelry, make pottery (dragons and pendants), listen to music, sing, and dance and my favorite song is Call Me Maybe.”
- Lexi Stuart –
- Maia Madison – “Smello, my name is Maia Madison. What I want to be what I grow up is an animator and artist. I’ve already begun doing animations and improving my skills. My LIFE IS ART. My favorite bands are: Coldplay, White Stripes, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. My favorite animals are dogs, cats and elephants. I’m 13 and done telling you stuff!”
Project Terra Incognita is a Kickstarter.com project to gather high resolution video and photography from near orbit. This is a both a science and photography project being conducted by a group of six 6th grade girls in Bowling Green, Kentucky. They are requesting donations via Kickstarter.com for a seemingly impossible but absolutely achievable project. Their goal is to send a payload into near-space, take measurements as well as high resolution pictures and video and re-acquire the payload after coming back to earth. The team humbly submits our project for your consideration knowing the only way we can accomplish our goal is with your help!
In return for donations you can receive pictures of the best photos taken in various sizes, a poster, a hard back book of all the best pictures and even a 24″ x36″ canvas print of the best photo taken. Click here to learn more. -> Edge And Back on Kickstarter.